Youtube App Review

 I decided to review YouTube (mobile/web) because it's an application that I use all the time for watching videos like learning, entertainment, tutorials, and many more. I believe YouTube gives everyone something to learn, entertain or more all the time depending on what they're into and like to watch. I would say I'm an iPad kid at times so this was a perfect fit for me and I actually have it playing in the background while working on this discussion post!

The website/app is easy to use and navigate. When users open the app/website, they can browse recommended videos (tailored to them), search for specific content, view subscriptions, see their saved content, and create or upload videos. If the person does not have a YouTube account, the recommendations are usually reset since there is no saved query, and it can't give what the user might prefer to watch. Luckily, the search function is the strongest use of YouTube. Anyone can search for what they want and usually what they're looking for is found. 

The design of YouTube is pretty laid out with tabs on the side for easy specific categories that the user could go to like just watching channels they're subscribed to or the YouTube shorts for quicker videos and the main page is videos with big thumbnails that make it easier for the user to find what they are searching for or catch the eyes of the viewer.







The functionality of YouTube is great too. During its video playing features, there's a variety of things the user can do. The accessibility of either speeding up videos or changing the quality, to adding captions and more is great. The video functions aren't the only thing that's available. Users can like, dislike, comment, share, save videos to playlists, get notifications and even change settings that changes things for their own preferences like having a dark background. (parent settings as well) 







Some recommendations that I would have for YouTube would be the ability to filter your recommended videos more or see what you want to see more often. A second one is choosing what you want to see on the home screen as in taking out certain parts like if you have no interest in creating content then having the ability to take out the creating content function would be nice or taking the YouTube shorts out if there is no interest in that either. Lastly, the final recommendation I have is the consistency or how often ads are run. When watching longer videos you can have an absurd number of ads or even sometimes on shorter videos it could be the same thing or sometimes the ads will be longer than the actual video itself. Although there is a skip button and ads are in everything nowadays the inconsistency of ads would be a great change. There are most likely more changes that could be made but those are the ones I've thought about time to time. Overall, YouTube is great and I'm pretty sure everyone has used it before or has seen it.

Comments

Popular Posts